Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Siblings of Michael Wyn - The Escape



I. The escape.

Memories are like jumbled jigsaw puzzle pieces. Some fit perfectly. Some are so strange that you can’t figure out where they belong. I just found a stash of old photos my dad gave me before he died. Several photos of me spanning back more than sixty years: an infant on his mother lap, a young lad in Boy Scout uniform, a first year college teenager student arriving in Los Angeles airport. The “me” in the photos seemed to be a stranger, but also had the vague familiarity of memories long faded.

Since I had some English ability more than anyone else, during the 1968 Lunar New Year Communist offensive, my oldest sister Teresa and I were assigned to stay at our meager home to protect it. The village was infiltrated by the Viet Cong. I was there to explain that we were civilian, not communists if the American soldiers were to assault house by house. I still remember the awesome sight and frightening sounds of the gunship fire demolishing a nearby home where the Viet Cong were hiding.

I passed the two consecutive years Baccalaureate I and II with highest honors and was selected to leave Vietnam for college in the US. The war was raging on in Vietnam in 1970 when I was granted this very rare privilege. We were very poor and without any connection hence the approval allowing me to leave was an exceptional opportunity. My parents told me and their relatives many times about their joy and pride of their son’s early achievement.

My financial situation during my undergraduate years was pitiful. I arrived with eleven US dollars in my pocket. I was granted the monthly amount of $150 (US dollars) at the official exchange rate. Of the 150 dollars, I set aside 50 dollars for my family. The black market value of the US dollar was several times higher than that of the official exchange rate. One of my mother’s distant relative by marriage,  Uncle Xoi  was very wealthy in Vietnam. It was not legal for Vietnamese to stash money - of which some or most were ill-gotten gains - in foreign banks. The uncle already having a Chase account, illegal at the time in Vietnam, allowed me to deposit the 50 dollars monthly to it. In return, he gave my parents inflated Vietnamese piasters, helping my family with a little more money due to this exchange.

Life was quite tough. I still remember the good smell and rare treat while visiting the apartment of well-off Vietnamese students from wealthy families and was invited to share some of their sumptuous home cooked steaks. I struggled to balance school, and my night and weekend jobs: housekeeper at Long Beach Memorial hospital cleaning toilets, floors, removing trash as well as the operating rooms’ hazardous waste; also working at Jack-in-the-Box and as a student assistant at the University library. These under-the-table cash payments – since I was not allowed to work openly and legally – and the monthly $100 allowed me a very meager existence at the same time paying for school tuition and fees. (My scholarship was only partial.) The university fees were maxed out over 12 semester units. Most Vietnamese students took very high number of semester units to save money.

I had a small 125cc Honda motorcycle for commuting to school. During the second year, I had an accident which broke my right leg and left me bed-ridden for the whole several months. Thanks to the kindness of friends and neighbors I was able to get food and water for the duration.

In early 1975 I spent several months explaining to my father that the situation in Vietnam was very desperate and the final collapse was near. My father was a low level employee of Air America which was the airline subcontracted to the CIA in Vietnam (see Figure 1). I contacted the CIA in Virginia to plead for my family’s evacuation. I threatened to talk to the Long Beach Independent and the Los Angeles Times newspaper. I wrote letters to California Senator Alan Cranston, Dr. Henry Kissinger to ask for their intervention. I also met with Dr. Stephen Horn and his wife, Nina who also wrote letters to Senator Alan Cranston to support my plea.  Dean Willard Reeds of the University Civil Engineering department loaned me the keys and allowed me to use his office telephone to call Vietnam. This was the rare time that I earned C’s in classes, due to time spent waiting for the Agency calls, calling, pleading, threatening the Agency, and calling my father at night in Vietnam. These activities took most of my day time and energy. I had to return to campus in the middle of the night to phone my brother-in-law’s office, so they could call my father to the phone. Imagine a 22-years old foreign student with limited English proficiency determined to use whatever channels necessary to rescue his family. Some have said that not 1 in a million could have done this.


Figure 1