Friday, June 05, 2020

Siblings of Michael Wyn - The earliest memories


II. The earliest memories.

I was born in Ha Noi, Vietnam in 1952. My family is large with 11 children and I was the third child with an older sister, Teresa and a brother, Tri. My father is a second generation Chinese-Vietnamese. His father died very young while studying medicine in Ha Noi. His mother was a Vietnamese housewife and a habitual gambler. When my grandfather died, my father had to quit school at 16 and went to work since his mother abandoned her children to spend time gambling. I was told that my father’s household fell into disrepair and abject poverty. He had to take care of his sister and 2 younger brothers. They ate left-over cooked rice and simple broth, and their food was sometimes covered with ants and insects.

Eventually, my father gained more experience and was able to get a job with some Chinese landowner whose daughter married one of my father’s younger brother, uncle Thanh. My father met and married my mother, a Vietnamese woman through the wealthy landowner. They worked, saved and were able to own a successful department store in early 1950s.

In 1941 the Japanese landed in Hai Phong harbor and marched into Ha Noi accepting the French colonial power surrender. My father was a young man watching the surrender. A young Vietnamese boy was pointing and laughing at the Japanese. A Japanese officer stepped out and in a sudden and violent sweep lopped off the young boy’s head then without a word returned back to the march.

At the end of World War II, the French colonists returned to power after the Japanese surrender. The Vietnamese Communist Party under Ho chi Minh failed to gain traction with the US administration to gain independence. However, they won the decisive victory against the French at “Dien Bien Phu” allowing them to demand the demarcation of Vietnam at the 17th parallel with the North under Ho Chi Minh who was supported by Russia and China, and the South under Ngo Dinh Diem supported by the French and subsequently by the Americans.

My parents left Ha Noi with me and my two older siblings, Teresa and Tri to Gia Dinh, a neighborhood in Saigon, South Vietnam. The evacuation was legal but all their assets were either confiscated or lost. They re-started their lives in South Vietnam with nothing. This was 1954 and I was two years old.

The house we lived in South Vietnam was very small. It had packed dirt floor. The walls were unpainted. My mother converted a small shipping carton box into the family altar. The streets were unpaved. There was a common restroom several hundred feet away for several homes to share. There were quite a number of insects, mosquitoes and rats in and around the house. My father started out at the bottom driving bus and taxi. More kids arrived. My father was enterprising getting jobs with airline companies and eventually for Air America in Saigon for the last several dozen of years before the fall of South Vietnam in April 1975.